“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:14-16 NLT)
Kingdom Disciples are blessed so that we will shine Kingdom Light. We are to shine like Jesus. “Jesus went around doing good…” that’s how Peter, one of His closest disciples described Jesus. (Acts 10:38) Like Jesus, we are called to go around doing good—spreading the blessings of God’s Kingdom.
When Laura and I had our home in North India we were surrounded by human need. Despair would have overwhelmed me if I did not know deep in my heart that God’s purpose is to bring blessing and transformation to every person, family and community.
I made a list of blessings I hope to see God bring to that place. Though not visible yet, here’s what I can picture in the future:
- Every single person has opportunities to hear the Gospel in ways they understand.
- Many believe and become spirit-led disciples who gather in nearby Jesus-centered fellowships to worship, learn, pray and care for one another.
- With God’s Word now available in their own language, believers discover His plans to use them and their families to spread the blessings of His Kingdom.
- All children, including those who once begged on the streets, now receive godly education.
- Every village has clean water and no one goes without adequate, nutritious food. Not a single person lacks the clothing and shelter needed. Health care is close and affordable.
- Girls, boys, men and women have opportunities for lives that are fruitful and fulfilling spiritually, mentally, socially, emotionally and physically.
Is this too much to imagine? No! These are just some of the blessings of God’s Kingdom. Jesus told His disciples to pray to our Father in Heaven: “Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” In response to His teaching and example, we as Kingdom Disciples must align ourselves with God’s will, working together to ensure that everyone on earth has access to:
The message of Jesus Christ presented in a way they can understand.
God’s Word in their own language.
Fellowship with disciples of Jesus: to freely worship Him, learn to obey Him and join in His global purposes.
Education that equips their children for godly living.
The basic necessities of life: food, clean water, clothing, shelter and health care.
Opportunities to lead a productive and fruitful life spiritually, mentally, socially, emotionally, and physically.
These are the six points of the Christian Magna Carta which was developed by Youth With A Mission in 1981. Here it has been slightly reworded for easier translation and communicating across different cultures. We are convinced that God’s purpose is to bless every person on earth in the ways listed above. He wants to use all of us to help make this happen.
What good deeds would Jesus have you do to “shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father”?
Question for reflection: What are the needs in your community? How will you discover what God wants you to do to shine for Him?
Kingdom prayer: We pray according to Your Word, “May Your Kingdom come soon. May Your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.”